Rugby mad Norwich student hailed as inspiration for young people after receiving top award
- Credit: Archant
A budding athlete and Norwich student has been praised for turning his rugby talents to coaching after suffering a knee injury.
Kieran Palmer, a student at Ormiston Victory Academy in Costessey, was named Young Rugby Ambassador of the Year for the east by the Rugby Football Union (RFU).
The keen rugby player, who is in year 12, put himself forward to volunteer for the RFU's programme after suffering a torn ligament in his knee, which put him out of action for the rest of the rugby season.
Since last September, Kieran has been one of two coaches for the under 11s at North Walsham Rugby Club - where he has played since he was five years old - to develop players' skills.
He was nominated as Young Ambassador of the Year by the club in recognition of his commitment and will receive the award at a dinner in Cambridge at the end of June.
Kieran said: 'I feel so honoured to have won this award and I would like to thank all of my teachers and peers who have supported me.
'I've volunteered myself for this role because I want to make the game better for everyone involved and to show that rugby can change lives. I want to give back and help others grow to achieve their ambitions.'
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 3 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 4 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 9 New Burger King site approved in city centre
- 10 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
The hard-working student has been invited to sit on the RFU's Age Grade Rugby Advisory Group - a selection of coaches, players and parents who discuss how rugby should be played for children under 18-year-old.
Naomi Palmer, Principal of Ormiston Victory Academy, said: 'I'm so proud of Kieran for everything he has achieved as a Young Rugby Ambassador – he is a very worthy recipient, who has worked so hard for this over the last few months.
'Kieran serves as a fantastic role model for all of our students at Ormiston Victory Academy and we hope he will inspire others to follow in his footsteps.'
• Do you have a story that we should be writing about? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org