Queen continues Royal tradition of WI membership
- Credit: Archant
The Queen continues a Royal tradition of WI membership stretching back for generations.
Queen Mary invited Madge Watt to form a WI at Sandringham in the earkly 20th Century before becoming president.
The Queen joined the WI member in 1943, while she was Princess Elizabeth. Her mother was President of Sandringham WI until her death in 2002.
The Queen is still president of Sandringham WI. The Countess of Wessex is a member of Bagshot WI in Surrey. The Duchess of Cornwall is a member of Tetbury WI, Gloucestershire. Princess Anne is also an Associate Member.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 9 Dinomania tour heading to Norfolk with giant dinosaurs that move
- 10 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years