Queen continues Royal tradition of WI membership
- Credit: Archant
The Queen continues a Royal tradition of WI membership stretching back for generations.
Queen Mary invited Madge Watt to form a WI at Sandringham in the earkly 20th Century before becoming president.
The Queen joined the WI member in 1943, while she was Princess Elizabeth. Her mother was President of Sandringham WI until her death in 2002.
The Queen is still president of Sandringham WI. The Countess of Wessex is a member of Bagshot WI in Surrey. The Duchess of Cornwall is a member of Tetbury WI, Gloucestershire. Princess Anne is also an Associate Member.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 10 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals