King’s Lynn’s Southgates Roundabout is now the Gareth Southgates roundabout
- Credit: Archant
A well-known West Norfolk landmark has been renamed in honour of the England manager.
Local radio station KLFM96.7 breakfast presenter Simon Rowe suggested calling the Southgates Roundabout the Gareth Southgates Roundabout, in honour of the high-flying national team's achievements.
'We appealed for the county council to get in touch and the leader of the county council called in and gave us permission to do it,' said Mr Rowe.
Council leader Andrew Proctor said the roundabout would be renamed until July 20.
He told the station: 'I heard what you're talking about and this is an absolutely fantastic idea.
'Certainly from my view and the county council - we are very happy to support this.
'Gareth Southgate is a pretty modest man and I am sure he would approve of this himself.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 4 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 5 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 6 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 7 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
'Let's try to get this information to him to try and give the boys a gee up for tonight.'