Round-Britain charity cyclist passing through north Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
A round-Britain cyclist is passing through north Norfolk this weekend on a 5,000-mile journey he hopes will raise £15,000 for charity and be finished in time for his 40th birthday in December.
Welshman Malcolm 'Swanny' McCarthy pedalled through Cromer today, Friday, about 1,500 miles into his epic journey.
The artist, woodworker and gardener aims to raise cash for the Ty Hafan Hospice, Children with Leukaemia and Cancer Research UK through his epic trip, which started on March 3 and is due to end in time for his big birthday on December 3.
Preparations were hampered by a chest infection diagnosed early on in the trip which needed a trip to A and E, the discovery of old blood clots on his lung needing blood thinning medication, he said.
But he was pressing on, helped by being given a static home rather a tent pitching site by the Woodlands caravan park at Trimingham on Thursday night.
You may also want to watch:
'It was nice to have a comfortable bed for a night,' said Mr McCarthy who is now on his way up the east coast via King's Lynn on his trailer-hauling cycle.
'If the hills in Scotland beat me I will accept it, but I am planning to treat myself to a bottle of Moet & Chandon champagne at the finish.'
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
To follow his progress visit www.swantour.org.uk or his Swanny McCarthy Facebook page.