Community says final farewell to much-loved Thetford man
- Credit: Danielle Booden
Friends, family and neighbours lined a street in Thetford, to say their final farewells to a much-loved man, who would spread cheer by singing on his doorstep.
The family of 88-year-old Ronald 'Ron' Green, who died after contracting coronavirus on January 22, said they couldn’t have asked for a better send off, after the community gathered on Nunnery Drive to pay their respects.
At 11am on Friday, February 19, the family followed the hearse from Ron’s home, as a band played his favourite songs - including 'Fly Me To The Moon' and 'On The Sunny Side Of The Street'.
The procession was led by Captain Diane Dickson from the Salvation Army in Thetford.
Rachel Ellis, 51, Ron’s daughter, said: “It was really emotional. Everyone knew dad. This character with the singing voice who would stand on the door step and make everyone smile.
“He was the epitome of kindness itself.
“It was a wonderful tribute. It gave us the strength to walk that walk, with the music and wonderful memories of dad. He made his last journey. It was absolutely beautiful.”
After the procession, Ron's funeral service was held at Risby Crematorium in Bury St Edmunds.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 3 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 4 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 5 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 6 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 9 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 10 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
The family thanked those who came to pay their respects and Mark Skinner, from Mark Skinner Funeral Service.
If you wish to donate to St Nicholas Hospice visit the link here, https://ronaldgreen.muchloved.com/.