Rod Stewart in Norwich: Fans toast ‘excellent evening’ as singer kicks off UK tour with tribute to Muhammad Ali
- Credit: Archant
Rod Stewart fans have described the singer's UK tour launch in Norwich as 'an excellent evening with an amazing atmosphere'.
The Maggie May singer kicked off his UK Hits 2016 tour at Carrow Road on Saturday night, sailing through old classics and new material in front of thousands of fans.
He also dedicated Angel to boxer Muhammad Ali, who died yesterday aged 74.
The night ended with a bang, as fireworks erupted from the stage.
As they left, happy fans said the show had been brilliant 'from start to finish'.
For Joan Phillips, 75, the concert was one of many of Rod's that she has travelled around England to see.
You may also want to watch:
The Great Yarmouth grandmother said: 'I just think he is wonderful and I have been a fan for decades.
'He was brilliant tonight as he always is and we had a really good time. I have seen him all over the country and it was lovely to see him at home.'
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 3 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 4 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 7 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 8 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 9 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 10 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
Kate Shaw, 34, who attended with friend Georgia Lowe, 35, said: 'It was great, he was very good and seemed to enjoy being here.
'It was a cool experience to be at a concert in the middle of the pitch as well.'
Yvette Cooper, MP for Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford, tweeted to say: 'Brilliant @rodstewart concert at Carrow Road tonight. Sailing and flying still.'
Social media users reported hearing the concert from as far away as Hellesdon, Dereham Road and the NR2 postcode area.
• What did you think of the concert? Let us know by tweeting @EDP24 and @eveningnews or leave your comments below.