Questions need to be asked over Stagecoach after “bombshell announcement” over services in King’s Lynn, says union leader
- Credit: Archant
A union leader is calling for answers over why Stagecoach needs to cut jobs and services.
More than 100 jobs and bus routes such as the Coasthopper are under threat. Stagecoach says it is considering axing them and closing its King's Lynn depot.
MORE - jobs and bus services from King's Lynn under threatMick Cash, general secretary of the RMT (Rail Maritime and Transport) union said: 'RMT officials are in urgent discussions with Stagecoach after this bombshell announcement which leaves jobs and services in Norfolk hanging by a thread.
'Stagecoach has only operated Norfolk bus services since December 2013 and serious questions need to be asked as to exactly what has gone wrong and why.
'RMT's absolute priority is to protect our members and the lifeline services they provide to the local community and the low income, eldery and vulnerable groups without access to a car who would be condemned to lives of transport poverty if routes are axed.
You may also want to watch:
'In the wake of the Carillion collapse here we have yet another example of what happens when privatisation and profit is allowed to take priority over public service. Bus services are already being slashed and axed across the country as private operators cherry-pick the profitable routes. This scandal must end and RMT will continue to fight for accessible bus services for all.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: Norwich City Council LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 5 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 6 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 7 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 8 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 9 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 10 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C