Revealed: The most popular baby names of 2016
The baby name trends for 2016 have been revealed and the results suggest parents across the country have taken inspiration from this year's big blockbuster hits and TV shows.
Oliver has reclaimed the title of most popular baby boy name this year according to website BabyCentre, with Olivia remaining in first place for the girls in the top 100.
Last year's list saw many 1980s and Irish names rise in popularity, however this year these have been replaced by various cult comic book, film and TV character names.
Felicity, a new entry in the top 100, is perhaps a nod to IT expert and skilled hacker Felicity Smoak from DC Comics' Arrow, while Marvel's crime-fighting heroine Jessica Jones may have had a hand in influencing Jessica placing at number 21, and following on from the release of the film Suicide Squad in August, both Harley and Quinn have seen an increase in favour as well.
Game of Thrones inspired names also continue to trend, with both Emilia and Maisie making it into the top 50, thanks to actresses Emilia Clarke and Maisie Williams who play Daenerys Targaryen and Arya Stark on the show.
You may also want to watch:
The Star Wars film franchise also appears to have inspired BabyCentre parents' name choices, with both Luke and Harrison making appearances in the top 100 and new character Finn on the up.
In addition, fans have been quick to pay tribute to many of the beloved stars that have passed away throughout 2016, with Harper moving up from number 87 to number 56, possibly in reference to Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird and a number of registrations have been made in tribute to legendary music artist Prince.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Do you recognise this man?
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
Other names in the website's top 100 include Muhammad, Noah, Arlo, Logan, Harry, Lily, Phoebe, Thea, Willow and Sophia.
Predictions for 2017's most popular names have already begun, with BabyCentre suggesting Cedric, Leif, Cosmo and Monty for boys and Colette, Willa, Noelle and Paisley for girls.
• Find the full list of popular names for 2016 online at www.babycentre.co.uk