Retired GP’s Beccles jewellery shop is a dream come true
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A retired GP who realised her dream of opening a jewellery shop after 35 years is breaking even after just eight months.
Renee Kathuria opened Oliver & J Jewellery in Beccles after retiring and now stocks products from around 30 designers, with a mix of fine and contemporary jewellery from classic silver and gold to pearl and gemstone items.
Prices range from £10 for earrings to several thousand pounds for gemstone rings, with the average price around £50-£100.
Ms Kathuria, who runs the business with her husband Paul Berry, said: 'I wanted my shop to be approachable and bright – sometimes jewellery shops can be intimidating.'
The shop is taking on a fifth staff member next month, a goldsmith, who will be able to carry out jewellery repairs.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Kathuria, 60, has been taking silversmithing classes in Norwich for 18 months. 'My plan is that one day I might make pieces that are good enough to sell,' she said.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 10 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life