Respected mechanic travels to final resting place in recovery truck as final wish
- Credit: Archant
It was the final wish of a well-loved and popular mechanic whose life came to an end after a battle with cancer.
Graham Roberts was 51 when he passed away and had given instructions to his three former employers he wanted to travel to his resting place on the back of a truck.
It which doubled as a hearse was emblazoned at the back with Graham's nickname - Wiggy - and a collection of photographs bearing fond memories. convoy of trucks formed the funeral cortege as it travelled from Graham's home in Hoveton and past his old workplaces - Orwell Trucks, JSF Landrover, and Delmonte Garage - to St Faith's Crematorium.
Graham leaves a partner Rachel and three children Oliver Chloe and Dominic, his father Mervyn, brother Adrian and sister Dawn .
Donna Howlett, director at Delmont Garage, said: 'A well respected member of the Norwich motor industry. Graham completed his final journey in accordance with his wishes, on the back of a Delmonte Garage breakdown truck.
'He worked at the garage for several years before moving onto Orwell trucks in Norwich, having previously been employed by JSF Landrover in Norwich. 'All three garages were represented in the funeral cortege which left Graham's home in Hoveton and travelled past all three garages on the way to the funeral. Staff from all the garages were amongst the pall bearers and a representative of each spoke at the service.
'The directors of the Delmonte Garage said it was an absolute honour to have known him and especially to be asked to be involved in Graham's last trip. Our sympathy goes out to all his family.'
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 8 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school