Residents to have greater say over future of Wymondham’s Kings Head Meadow
Residents will have a greater say in the future of a Norfolk town's main recreation land, which was the subject of controversial plans to build a new supermarket.
Wymondham Town Council has agreed to set up a 'mechanism' enabling concerned residents to be involved in decisions affecting the future of council-owned Kings Head Meadow, which came close to being sold to Asda for a 23,000sq ft supermarket.
Councillors at Tuesday's meeting also passed a motion proposed by councillor Alison Taylor to put on hold all decisions affecting the future of the meadow, except where day-to-day maintenance was concerned, until a full report and plan for the site's future use had been presented to the town council for debate.
The motion also included any decision on the renewal of Wymondham Town FC's lease for the land.
In the interim period, the town council has established a working group to look into the future use of the meadow and to decide what form the consultation mechanism should take.
Cllr Taylor said: 'We now need to move forward and take positive steps with regard to the Kings Head Meadow in Wymondham. This mechanism could take the form of an open consultation done with questionnaires and the opportunity to comment on the plans.
'Local residents could raise any concerns they may have and this could tie in with South Norfolk Council's Wymondham area action plan.'
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 4 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 5 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 6 Woman 'shocked' after brick thrown through living-room window
- 7 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
- 8 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 9 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 10 Fire at farm near Taverham being treated as arson
A number of residents attended the meeting, including members of the Wymondham Asks Why (WAW) action group opposed to the council's proposed sale of the meadow to Asda, which was rescinded at a council meeting in February.
The WAW members do not want the greenfield land, home to a children's play area and public recreation space, to be used for a superstore.