Residents ‘shocked’ after discovery of body on school grounds in Thetford
- Credit: Archant
Residents on a Thetford estate have expressed their shock after a body was discovered on a school field.
Police officers were called at approximately 1.50pm this afternoon (Friday) to reports that the body of a man had been found in the grounds of Diamond Academy, in Hillary Road.
A seal was placed at the scene whilst officers make initial enquiries and the death is being treated as unexplained.
Residents on Hillary Road and Fulmerston Road, which front Diamond Academy and the neighbouring Queensway Infant School and Nursery respectively, have expressed their shock at the incident.
One Hillary Road resident said: 'We've just found out what happened. We're shocked. It is not very nice for something like that to happen so close to home.
You may also want to watch:
'We're just waiting now to see what comes of it.'
Another said she had seen two police cars and an ambulance pull up outside the academy, which is managed by Academy Transformation Trust.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
Another said she had been at work during the afternoon but had just found out about the discovery.
'I'm just a bit shocked, but I don't know the ins and outs of it,' she added.
One resident on Fulmerston Road, which faces Queensway Infant School, said she had seen police activity near the school in the early afternoon.
'We saw the car, the officers jumped out and ran down the field and we wondered what was going on.
'It was quite shocking to find out.'
Another added: 'You don't expect something like this to happen, especially not at a school.'
Police said in a statement that said no further details regarding the deceased are being issued at this time.