Reports that Norwich City boss Paul Lambert has quit the club

Reports overnight that Paul Lambert has quit as Norwich City boss

Norwich City fans were today waking up to reports that manager Paul Lambert may no longer be at the club.

The Sun newspaper has this morning claimed the Scottish boss has resigned following a row over proposed talks with managerless Aston Villa.

News emerged last night that Villa would be seeking official permission to speak to Lambert today as they look to find a successor to the sacked Alex McLeish.

However, The Sun claims Lambert walked out once it became clear Norwch City were to refuse him permission to talk to the Midlands club.

An official line has yet to be released from Carrow Road, however the rumours have already shocked many Norwich fans, who this morning took to the social media website twitter to vent their feelings, as well as identify whom they would potentially like to see take charge of the club in the Premier League next season.

@kentoncanary said: 'Gutted if the Sun news is true, but I was more stressed about Burnley last year than I am now about Lambert leaving for Villa. #ncfc'

Most Read

@I_Scott_Macleod said: '#ncfc fans if Lambert has gone, dont judge, just remember how we got his services & wish him well. It was inevitable. #legend'

@nealspinks said: 'Thank you Paul Lambert for the last 3 seasons. I trust the board will appoint a replacement to keep us moving in the same direction #ncfc'

@JamesBigg said: 'Here's one for #ncfc fans - Lee Clark. Talented young manager with something to prove after Huddersfield debacle.'

Lambert has been one of the most sucessful Norwich City managers in its recent history, taking the club from League One to the Premier League in consecutive seasons.

Last season the club defied the odds to finsih in mid-table, beating several of the league's biggest clubs along the way.

Lambert has consistently kept his own counsel on speculation linking him with the job. When pressed after last week's Adam Drury testimonial match at Carrow Road, he commented: 'I am delighted I am at Norwich if that is what you are asking. I have never said I wanted away. Not a thing have I said and people jump to conclusions.'

No-one from the club was available for comment last night, but City's chief executive David McNally made his position clear at the end of the season.

'We would not welcome any enquiry for our football manager or any of the club's football players,' he said. 'We'll do everything we can and fight this as hard as we've ever fought.'

Villa owner Randy Lerner is hoping it will be a case of third time lucky in terms of replacing McLeish. He held talks with former Manchester United star Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who opted to stay at Molde in Norway for family reasons and also spoke with advisors of Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, who had initially rejected the chance to replace Gerard Houllier 12 months ago. But Latics boss Dave Whelan yesterday said Martinez was staying put.

The other serious contender for Villa is believed to be Roberto di Matteo, should he not get the Chelsea job on a permanent basis.

Villa will have the chance to make a move at Thursday's meeting of Premier League chairman in Darlington.

More will appear on the website as it emerges.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter