Redundant pub and garage to be demolished as part of 19 homes plan for Fenland village
A REDUNDANT pub and a garage could be flattened to pave the way for 19 homes in a Fenland village.
Connaught Ltd has applied to West Norfolk Council for permission to build the homes on a 1.4 acre site on Wisbech Road, Outwell.
If approved it means Outwell Garage and the former Red Lion public house will disappear as well as a scrap yard.
The architects claim their scheme 'results in the removal of a non-conforming use and the positive regeneration of this part of Outwell'.
It will, they argue, add 'vitality and viability to this area.'
You may also want to watch:
A design and access statement submitted to the council says the street frontage is approximately 62 metres and includes access to Ali's Kebabs hot food takeaway although these premises do not form part of the application site.
A new T junction in the centre of the frontage will provide access to the development with that to Ali's Kebabs being moved from the southern side of his premises to what will become the redundant access to the scrap yard.
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 6 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 7 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
Architects for the scheme say one of their guiding principles has been to create homes which 'build on local character, evolving from local context.'
A mix of two to four bedroom homes is proposed.
Connaught's say in response to the 'established need for a sheltered waiting area identified to the applicant buy the parish council' a suitable structure is being provided to the northern site boundary.