Rally team return from Barcelona with team spirit award and thousands raised for charity
- Credit: Archant
A group of friends have proudly returned from a charity banger adventure where they picked up an award for 'best team spirit.'
The 4Kings team took part in the Barcelona or Bust rally with 45 other teams, travelling over three days to different cities where they were given a variety of tasks to complete.
Grant Bartlett of Pakefield and Bob Janney of Beccles took part in the Monte Carlo or Bust banger rally in 2015, and were joined this time by new teammates Mick Needham and Charlie Coote.
And as well as being awarded the team spirit certificate, the team were also pleased to have finished the rally in fourth place overall.
Mr Bartlett, 52, said: 'That's the award people would most like to get as it's voted for by your peers. We were really chuffed and pleased because you stop and help people out on the way and it's just nice that to have it recognised.'
The team left The Ship Inn, Pakefield, on September 7, to reach the starting line in Rouen in France, where they set off on September 8.
They completed the challenge in a Hyundai Matrix worth around £50 - the same car which came to their rescue two years ago when their original vehicle broke down on the way to Dover.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 5 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 6 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 7 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 8 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 9 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 10 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
For the first day of their journey to Bordeaux they dressed as characters from the film Shrek, with Flintstones outfits for Saturday's ride to Andorra and beach party clothing for the final stretch of their journey to Barcelona on Sunday.
Mr Bartlett said: 'We couldn't have asked for a better first night. We were all dressed up as characters from Shrek and we had to check in at a bar in the centre of Rouen. What we didn't realise was it was student night and the French medical students all wanted to have their photo taken with us which was really good fun.
'We all had a really cracking time and we've come back with some great memories.'
Money raised through sponsorship by the 4Kings team will go to Autism Anglia, an independent charity that provides care and support to children, adults and families affected by autism throughout Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk. Together they have raised almost £2,000.
You can still make a donation at www.justgiving.com/teams/4Kings