Rain dampens closure-threatened Aylsham care home’s fundraising fete
A closure-threatened Aylsham care home is planning to try again after a long-awaited fundraising fete was overshadowed by wet weather on Saturday.
Staff at Aegel House on Burgh Road spent six months planning the event, which was designed to raise for excursions and treats for the 27 residents.
But relentless rain had a big impact on turnout, and manager Elaine Stamp said the �1,100 raised was 'well short of my target'.
Mrs Stamp said: 'It was disappointing, but we will aim to do it again in the middle of September. A lot of hard work went into this from January, and I want to thank the staff, committee and the Friends of Aegel House who have helped.'
As reported last month, Aegel House could be closed as part of a Norfolk County Council plan to develop a �1.1m 30-flat housing with care complex at the former St Michael's Hospital in Aylsham.
You may also want to watch:
Residents from Aegel House, which the council said was 'not fit for purpose' would move to the new scheme or to other care homes in the town.
The council has launched a 12-week public consultation, which closes on September 30.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
Mrs Stamp said the residents were 'fine'. She added: 'We are only a quarter of the way through consultation and until that's decided it's business as usual.'
The fete included 1940s memorabilia, classic cars and dancers from Barbara Sutton School of Dance.