Raiders strike Tamworth after cup tie

IAN CLARKE Norwich City officials yesterday expressed sympathy to staff at Tamworth who were victims of an “horrific” armed robbery just hours after Saturday's FA Cup tie.

IAN CLARKE

Norwich City officials yester-day expressed sympathy to staff at Tamworth who were victims of a "horrific" armed robbery just hours after Saturday's FA Cup tie.

Masked men threatened staff and customers with a shotgun and machete-style knife at Tamworth's Lamb ground before fleeing with several thousand pounds in bar takings.

Victims were made to lie on the floor and stripped of their personal belongings before the robbers emptied the tills and took the safe contents.

It is thought the gate receipts from the televised match - which were the biggest in the non-league club's history - had previously been banked.

The three raiders struck at the clubhouse at about 11.30pm at the end of a private function held after the lunchtime cup tie, which City won 4-1.

Most Read

All City's players and officials had left in the after-noon and it is not thought any fans were still there when the robbery occurred.

No one was seriously hurt in the robbery, but people were left deeply shocked.

Norwich's director of sales and marketing Andrew Cullen said: "It must have been a very traumatic and dreadful experience for those involved. It was a horrible end to what must have been a great day for them, despite the result."

He said the club would be contacting Tamworth officials to establish the full facts and pass on best wishes.

Mr Cullen said Norwich players, officials and fans had been given a very warm welcome at Tamworth.