Raft racers urgently needed for Lowestoft gala event
- Credit: Nick Butcher
An urgent appeal has gone out this week, urging people to sign up for one of Lowestoft's most popular bank holiday events.
The Lowestoft Lions need teams to register for the Maiden in Distress raft race which is due to take centre stage at their annual charity gala day in Oulton Broad on Bank Holiday Monday, August 25.
However, only two teams have so far agreed to take part and if others do not come forward by Tuesday, organisers face the prospect of cancelling the event – disappointing the hundreds of people who look forward to watching the action from the banks.
The race is open to teams of four, who are required to construct their own raft using the materials and tools provided, then paddle to the rescue of a maiden in distress stuck on a pontoon in the broad.
Event organiser Michael Cook said: 'The Lions have been organising the gala day for 21 years and there has been a race every year but unfortunately, despite appeals and getting into contact with previous participants, we only have two teams – Cooks Furnishing and FW Knights.
You may also want to watch:
'We need at least four teams to make it a race and we have to let our supplier know what materials we need by Tuesday. You can't really have a proper race with just two teams.
'Hopefully people who took part in previous races will think about doing it again.
- 1 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 2 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 3 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 8 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 9 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
'We don't want to lose another tradition in the town. People love watching the race, and seeing if anyone sinks!'
The 21st Oulton Broad Charity Gala Day starts at 9am and runs until dusk. It features the Steve Colley Motorcycle Stunt Show, strongman John Evans, Guitar George and his band, the Waggy Tail Dog Display Team, motor boat racing and performances by the Waveney Valley Brass Ensemble and the Oulton Broads.
There will also be donkey rides, Punch and Judy shows, a funfair and a firework display. Admission is £6 for adults and £1 for children.
To enter a team in the race, ring Mr Cook on 07748584763 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you got a Lowestoft story? Email email@example.com