RAF Marham personnel take part in Olympic flag-raising ceremonies
Norfolk air base will be represented at London 2012 games
Two members of the RAF based at Marham will be representing the service when they take part in flag-raising ceremonies at the Olympics.
WO Steve Roberts, of Norfolk, and Sgt Ann Thomas will be proudly representing the service as as Olympic Ceremonial Flag Raisers.
Sgt Thomas has served in the RAF for 16 years and is a very keen sportswoman. She has been involved with the Armed Forces Powerlifting Association for a number of years and won the World Championships six times in seven years and has been National and European Champion six times.
She was nominated as Suffolk Sports person of the year, the Combined Services Sportswoman of the year and was runner up to Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton in the BBC TV Eastern Sports Awards.
'It is a privilege to represent my country at the Olympics and Paralympics as a member of the Military Ceremonial contingent. To be involved in the flag raising ceremonies will be a great honour and will be one of the highlights of my career.'
Sgt Thomas will be taking part in flag raisings for the hockey and water polo in Olympic and powerlifting in the Paralympic Games.
- 1 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 2 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 5 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 6 Family's heartache as dog dies after being hit by Amazon van
- 7 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 8 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 9 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 10 Great Yarmouth's model village Banksy sold at auction
Her current day-to-day role within the RAF is a Survival Equipment Specialist. WO Roberts has served in the RAF for 34 years and during this time has undertaken a large variety of roles, including as a member of the RAF Mountain Rescue Team. His current day to day role within the RAF is as logistics support professional.
Awarded his MBE in 2009 for Service to the Country, WO Roberts is also a crew member of the RNLI Inshore Lifeboat based at Sheringham.
Speaking of his involvement with the Olympics and Paralympics WO Roberts said: 'It is indeed a great honour to represent my country at the Olympics and Paralympics as a member of the Military Ceremonial contingent. To be involved in this once in a lifetime event and to be able to showcase the British Armed Forces around the world will be one of the highlights of my career.'
He will be taking part in 24 flag raisings for the Athletics and a number for the Paralympics.