WATCH: RAF Lakenheath pilots fire missiles over Atlantic Ocean
- Credit: Staff Sgt Rachel Maxwell
Newly-released video footage has captured the moment USAF pilots based at RAF Lakenheath fired missiles in a training mission over the Atlantic Ocean.
Pilots from the 48th Fighter Wing, stationed at the Suffolk airbase, soared through the skies in F-15C Eagles and F-15E Strike Eagles during the live fire mission on March 3.
The fighter jets, loaded with Aim-120B missiles – carrying 50lb warheads – were tasked at taking down a drone target over the MOD Hebrides Range, off the Scottish coast.
Video captured by staff sergeant Rachel Maxwell shows the moments the missiles were fired above the clouds, as well as a refuelling operation featuring a KC-135 Stratotanker.
A USAF spokesman said the mission was carried out to test pilots' "combat readiness in a peacetime environment" and ensure "full capability during a wartime setting".
You may also want to watch:
The flights come days after non-flying servicemen at the base were given the chance to ride in the backseat as jets soared across the Suffolk skies.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 4 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 5 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 6 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 7 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
- 8 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 9 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 10 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold