Quirky crochet creation springs up at The Forum in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
A colourful crochet creation featuring a menagerie of fantastical creatures is springing up at The Forum, in Norwich, this week.
The quirky totem pole is the idea of textile artists Kally Davidson, from Norwich, and Johanne Couldrey, from Happisburgh, who are asking passersby to get involved with the unusual project as part of the Makers' Month festival currently taking place.
The duo started off the totem pole by creating an array of crochet characters for the top. All day yesterday they invited people to add to their masterpiece and they are also at The Forum today.
Ms Davidson said it was about inspiring people to be creative and that they were pleased with how many people had got involved so far – and how bright and colourful the totem pole had become.
'It's playful, it's inventive, it's fun. It is nice to help people feel free in themselves to be creative,' she said. 'It has been busy so far, with beginners through to people who are very experienced at crochet taking part. But they are all having a go at being free and playful with what they create.
You may also want to watch:
'I quite like that we are not saying 'make this animal'. we are just seeing what evolves.'
She added: 'It is like a story of everybody who takes part. It has got lots of different elements. At the start it was Jo and me but now more has been added to the story.'
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 5 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 6 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 7 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
- 8 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 9 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 10 Queen spends the night in hospital, Palace confirms
People can take part in the totem pole project from 10am until 4pm today.
The finished totem pole will then be on display at The Forum throughout February for the Makers' Month festival.
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org