Quirky crochet creation springs up at The Forum in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
A colourful crochet creation featuring a menagerie of fantastical creatures is springing up at The Forum, in Norwich, this week.
The quirky totem pole is the idea of textile artists Kally Davidson, from Norwich, and Johanne Couldrey, from Happisburgh, who are asking passersby to get involved with the unusual project as part of the Makers' Month festival currently taking place.
The duo started off the totem pole by creating an array of crochet characters for the top. All day yesterday they invited people to add to their masterpiece and they are also at The Forum today.
Ms Davidson said it was about inspiring people to be creative and that they were pleased with how many people had got involved so far – and how bright and colourful the totem pole had become.
'It's playful, it's inventive, it's fun. It is nice to help people feel free in themselves to be creative,' she said. 'It has been busy so far, with beginners through to people who are very experienced at crochet taking part. But they are all having a go at being free and playful with what they create.
'I quite like that we are not saying 'make this animal'. we are just seeing what evolves.'
She added: 'It is like a story of everybody who takes part. It has got lots of different elements. At the start it was Jo and me but now more has been added to the story.'
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 8 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
- 9 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
People can take part in the totem pole project from 10am until 4pm today.
The finished totem pole will then be on display at The Forum throughout February for the Makers' Month festival.
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org