Public will soon get say over Norfolk A47 improvements, while A12 renumbering completed
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Work to renumber a stretch of the A12 as the A47 to create a continuous trunk road has finished ahead of schedule.
And Highways bosses say they are about to launch consultation over major upgrades elsewhere on the A47, with work due to start in 2020.
The change in numbering sees what was the A12 between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft now become a part of the A47.
Highways bosses say that ensures the A47 is a continuous trunk road from Peterborough to Lowestoft, while the A12 is a continuous trunk road between Ipswich and London.
Work started in mid-January and was expected to be completed on Wednesday, but was actually completed ahead of schedule last week.
Steve Cox, Highways England project manager, said: 'Highways England is committed to ensuring that our work causes minimal disruption for drivers across the East of England, and we are pleased to have been able to complete this work early to ensure that is the case.'
Highways England says consultations into major upgrades elsewhere on the A47, due to start in 2020, will be launched shortly.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 3 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 4 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 7 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 8 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 9 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
There will be series of consultations where the public will be able to share their views, while county councillors received a briefing from Highways Agencies chiefs on Monday.
The projects include:
Dualling of the A47 between Norwich and Dereham;
Improving the A11 and A47 Thickthorn junction;
Dualling the A47 between Norwich and the Acle Straight, and;
Improving two junctions at Great Yarmouth, including reconstructing the Vauxhall roundabout.
Martin Wilby, chairman of Norfolk County Council's environment, transport and development committee, said: 'We support the work that Highways England has recently been carrying out in the east of the county and, like many people in Norfolk, are looking forward to their forthcoming consultation on the major improvements they intend to make to the A47.
'These upgrades to the A47 will make a huge difference to the county and its prosperity, and we'll be working with Highways England to do all we can to ensure they can get underway as soon as possible.'