Pub backs special school playground scheme
Music and ale launched the fund-raising drive for Overstrand White Horse's new charity of the year Sidestrand Hall School.
The aim is to raise money for a new playground for the children who attend the local special school, which caters for boys and girls aged seven to 16 with a range of complex needs.
Youngsters at the school are helping to choose and design the playground that would replace the current old and tired one, and help develop physical and social skills, along with encouraging teamwork.
Last year the White Horse raised more than �?6,000 for Motor Neurone Disease and hopes to at least match that sum.
The opening fund raiser, the first of many planned through the year, featured music from the Mick and Dave Trio who provided a mix of Van Morrison, Kinks and The Eagles mixed along with a few rock and roll standards free of charge.
A yard of ale competition was at the last minute replaced by a two-pint jug of ale contest when the yard glass was seen to have a small split near the bulb. It was won by regular James who managed the feat in just 10 seconds.
Second Chef Mark Youngs who is still learning to play guitar had a guest spot with the trio performing just one song for which he had been sponsored, placing his guitar case in front of him 'busker' style and raising a further �16 on the night.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 3 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 4 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 5 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
- 6 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 7 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 8 Blackpool player cites Norfolk footballer as inspiration after coming out
- 9 Teenager suffers serious injuries in city crash
- 10 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
Other planned events include sponsored walks, a ?Royal? Mrs and Mrs Night on April 29, a charity auction and a Christmas Singalong Night. The weekly Sunday night quiz and pub raffles will also help to boost funds.