Protests over removal of Freddie Mercury gorilla go on
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Scores of people are continuing to take to social media to hit out at the removal of the Freddie Mercury gorilla – and express their hope that he might yet be returned.
Organisers of the GoGoGorillas! fundraising art trail are looking to replace Freddie Radio Go Go Gorilla, who was removed on Monday after the Mercury Phoenix Trust, an Aids charity set up in memory of the Queen lead singer, claimed it misrepresented his image.
The decision to remove the gorilla from outside the Forum has caused outrage on social media with some, on the IPKat web blog, putting together alternative lyrics to Queen classic Bohemian Rhapsody to voice their displeasure.
One anonymous lyricist included the verse: 'Mama, just sprayed an ape/Put a spray gun to the fellow/Pulled my trigger, now he's yellow/Mama, life had just begun/Now Fred's copyright has blown it all away/Mama, ooo/Didn't mean to make them cry/If I'm not back again this time tomorrow/Such a big carry on, over nothing that really matters.'
Alan Partridge and Andy Murray are among the names tipped to take the place of Freddie, but art trail organisers and the gorilla's sponsor, Brandbank, a Norwich-based digital content company, are remaining tight-lipped.
You may also want to watch:
But there are still those that are hoping Freddie might yet be granted a reprieve – and be put back on the plinth outside the Forum if charity bosses at the Mercury Phoenix Trust decide to do a U-turn.
The sculpture is one of 53 designed apes to have taken up residence across the city as part of the project raising funds for Break and Born Free's project to help lowland gorillas in the Congo.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
For more details visit www.gogogorillas.co.uk