Project to replace ageing gas mains in Beccles gets under way
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Work is under way in Beccles to replace the ageing gas mains in the town.
Engineers started work this week to replace over 1km of existing gas mains which are nearing the end of their operational life.
Tough new pipes will be installed in London Road, Peddars Lane, St Mary's Road and Homefield Avenue, with traffic management measures in place while the work is carried out.
National Grid said the work is essential to ensure residents keep enjoying safe and reliable gas supplies for cooking and heating.
Multiway traffic lights have been installed at the crossing of London Road with St Mary's Road and Peddars Lane, and two and three way traffic lights are at the junctions on St Mary's Road and London Road. Both will be ongoing until the end of January.
You may also want to watch:
Then from January 25 to February 20, there will be a lane closure on Peddars Lane with one way traffic towards Blyburgate and two way traffic lights at either side of the junction with Peddars Lane in Blyburgate. There will also be a road closure at the exit of Alexandra Road to Peddars Lane at one stage which will then move to the other end of Alexandra Road at the next stage.
From February 22 to March 13 there will be multi-way traffic lights at the junction of Ringsfield Road with St Mary's Road. And from
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
March 13 to March 27 a road closure will be in place at the junction of Ashman's Road with London Road.
Dates are subject to change and the work is scheduled to be completed in April.
Project supervisor Jason Drinkwater said: 'This vital project will help make sure that residents and businesses in Beccles keep on enjoying a safe and reliable gas supply for many years to come.
'We're sorry for any inconvenience our work may cause and we'll do all we can to minimise disruption and complete the work as quickly as possible.'
The project will also involve replacing gas service pipes to some properties and engineers will need to temporarily disconnect the supply to those involved. National Grid will be contacting the properties to arrange access.
All National Grid engineers carry official identity cards, which people should ask to see before allowing them on their property. To verify an engineer's identity or for any enquiries about the project, contact National Grid's customer services team on 0800 096 5678.
To find out more about National Grid's gas mains replacement work go to www.bettergaspipes.co.uk.