Money, Money, Money: Abba night to raise funds for hut
- Credit: Archant
An ABBA-themed charity event will help raise funds for 'desperate' renovation of Scout and GirlGuiding facilities in a Norfolk town.
Downham Market Rotary Club will be hosting an ABBA night on Friday, March 20, at Downham Market Town Hall, with part of the proceeds from the night going towards the renovation of the Downham Market Scout and Guide Association hut.
The group appealed to the community for help last year saying their facilities on Howdale Road were in need of desperate renovation.
Members of Downham Rotary have since offered to help after being made aware of the situation by Rotarian George Bell and visiting the site in January.
Mr Bell said: "The young people are part of our community and our future and we are always sympathetic to them.
You may also want to watch:
"We support local youth groups and charities and are always raising money for local good causes.
"That's why it is important for us to raise sufficient funds when we put these big events on. That's what our job is."
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 5 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 6 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 8 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 9 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
- 10 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
Kay Lincoln, community and vocational chairperson at Downham Rotary, added: "This is as local as it gets. The kitchen and the bathroom is really poor and we wanted to help.
"We really thought the ABBA night would be great. It's just a way we can help them out."
Members of the Scouts, Brownies and GirlGuides will run the raffle on the night and the proceeds will be made towards their facilities.
The building, which is currently used by around 200 people, is estimated to need around £25,000 worth of work.
Carolyn Cooper, 1st Downham Market group Scout leader, said: "We're in desperate need of a new oven and kitchen. It's not really safe and we haven't been able to use it.
"Part of the badge requirement is to make things but can't because of the condition of the kitchen.
"The cupboard doors are falling off and I wouldn't be surprised if the kitchen is the same as when the hut was first built 30 years ago."
Downham Rotary held an ABBA event in March 2016 which was attended by hundreds of people and the event next month will see the return of the UK's leading ABBA tribute band-Planet ABBA. Tickets are £18.50 and can be purchased from Hays Travel on Wales Court and doors open at 7.30pm. Downham GirlGuides are looking for donations. If anyone wants to help email email@example.com