Historic Norwich pub reopens with new landlady
- Credit: Archant
A historic city pub has reopened following a 10 month closure and the new landlady hopes a stricter customer policy will help it become a community hub.
The Prince of Denmark, on Sprowston Road, shut down last August and the 200-year-old building had remained empty whilst a buyer was sought by Enterprise Inns.
But the pub was open for business once again this week after new landlady Sarah Warne gained the support of the licensing team at Enterprise to run it on a tenancy basis.
The 43-year-old, who has held her licence for 20 years, is optimistic about the pub's future following the relaunch.
'We now have a strict policy on the customers we allow in, we will not be allowing the people in who previously tarnished the name of such an integral community pub,' she said. 'We want the pub to be a venue where the local community feel welcome like they did in the past and look forward to meeting with the previous locals and welcoming many more.'
You may also want to watch:
Ms Warne has worked in the pub industry for her whole career and also manages the music venue, The Blueberry Music House on Cowgate.
The Prince of Denmark is currently on the market for a buyer, but the experienced landlady promised that whilst her and her team manage the pub they are committed to providing a great community venue.
- 1 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 2 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 3 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 4 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 7 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 8 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
'We'll be showing the World Cup games over the summer, and are currently signing up players for our new darts and pool teams,' she added.
The Prince of Denmark pub was first mentioned as a free house in 1839, and was named after the nearby Denmark Farm which William Denmark purchased in 1802.
In the 1860s it became part of the chain of Morgans pubs who commissioned the large equestrian portrait of Prince George of Denmark in the 1930s. It is thought the mural was chosen because of the association with the surname.
The pub's closure last year sparked concerns from pub protection groups as it was the latest in a string of locals to shut its doors.