Prince Harry announced as patron of Norfolk charity’s Walk of America expedition
- Credit: PA
Kensington Palace have announced that Prince Harry has become the patron of a Norfolk charity's latest expedition.
Organised by Stody-based armed forces charity, Walking With The Wounded, the Walk of America will see six wounded veterans from the US and UK walk 1,000 miles from the west to the east cost of America.
The epic trek will take place over 14 weeks this summer, starting in Los Angeles on June 2 and finishing in New York on September 6.
Kensington Palace tweeted: 'The Walk Of America will tell the stories of the wounded veterans and their journeys from injury to the present day, and encourage a conversation around veteran mental health.
'The expedition will also raise vital funds for veterans both sides of the Atlantic.'
You may also want to watch:
This is not the first time Prince Harry has been involved with the charity's walks, having previously joined a gruelling trip to the South Pole in 2013 and taking part in the Walk Of Britain in 2015.
However Kensington Palace have made it clear that in this instance neither Prince Harry, nor his fiancée Meghan Markle will be joining the Walk of America.
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 4 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 5 Prime minister promises "February sunset" for coronavirus tiers
- 6 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 7 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
Established in 2010, Walking With The Wounded supports vulnerable veterans as they re-intergrate back into society and sustain their independence.
The charity provides support to transfer their skills into the civilian workplace, offering assistance through programmes to those who have been physically, mentally or socially disadvantaged by their service.
Prince Harry will formally launch the expedition at an event in London on Wednesday, April 11, where he will meet the three British team members taking part in the walk.
For more information visit walkingwiththewounded.org.uk