Prince Harry announced as patron of Norfolk charity’s Walk of America expedition
- Credit: PA
Kensington Palace have announced that Prince Harry has become the patron of a Norfolk charity's latest expedition.
Organised by Stody-based armed forces charity, Walking With The Wounded, the Walk of America will see six wounded veterans from the US and UK walk 1,000 miles from the west to the east cost of America.
The epic trek will take place over 14 weeks this summer, starting in Los Angeles on June 2 and finishing in New York on September 6.
Kensington Palace tweeted: 'The Walk Of America will tell the stories of the wounded veterans and their journeys from injury to the present day, and encourage a conversation around veteran mental health.
'The expedition will also raise vital funds for veterans both sides of the Atlantic.'
This is not the first time Prince Harry has been involved with the charity's walks, having previously joined a gruelling trip to the South Pole in 2013 and taking part in the Walk Of Britain in 2015.
However Kensington Palace have made it clear that in this instance neither Prince Harry, nor his fiancée Meghan Markle will be joining the Walk of America.
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 6 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 7 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 8 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 9 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
Established in 2010, Walking With The Wounded supports vulnerable veterans as they re-intergrate back into society and sustain their independence.
The charity provides support to transfer their skills into the civilian workplace, offering assistance through programmes to those who have been physically, mentally or socially disadvantaged by their service.
Prince Harry will formally launch the expedition at an event in London on Wednesday, April 11, where he will meet the three British team members taking part in the walk.
For more information visit walkingwiththewounded.org.uk