'A lot of work required' to fix power cut on coast
- Credit: UK Power Networks
Almost 400 properties were hit by a power cut – with some set to be without electricity for several hours.
The problem began shortly after 12.30pm and as of 9pm was still affecting some homes and businesses on the north Norfolk coast.
Supply to some buildings in Cromer, East Runton, West Runton, Overstrand, Northrepps and Sidestrand has been affected.
At first, 379 homes and businesses were hit thought UK Power Networks engineers were able to reroute power to 196 of them by 1.30pm.
Electricity supply was restored to more homes after, though engineers on the ground have discovered the problem, caused by an underground cable fault, is not as easy to fix as first anticipated.
You may also want to watch:
In an update, UK Power Networks said: "There's a lot of work required on site, so we have decided to use temporary generators to provide power.
"To allow time for us to get the generators out to your area and connect them, we're now estimating we'll have power back on between 7.30pm and 8.30pm."
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Update from 8.11pm
UK Power Networks now expect the power to be returned to the remaining houses between 11pm and 12am.
"With darkness approaching we understand that it can be unsettling to have a power cut," UK Power Networks said.
"It may help to locate a torch and anything else you may need so you can have it to hand just in case.
"If you have any concerns about this please do not hesitate to call us on 08003163105 which is free from landlines and mobiles.
"We will work to fix the problem as quickly and safely as possible."
Update from 10.43pm
UK Power Networks now expect the power to be returned to the remaining houses between 1am and 2am.
"As it's that time of night where most of our customers are going to sleep, we wanted to let you know that we will continue to send text messages throughout the night with progress updates," UK Power Networks said.
If you no longer want to receive updates, please text CANCEL to 80876 (standard text fees apply).