Portuguese ambassador to UK opens Thetford project designed to help young people
- Credit: Ian Burt
The Portuguese ambassador to the UK has officially opened a support group set up to help the needs and aspirations of young people in Thetford.
Support Integration and Motivation Promoting Leisure and Education - or SIMPLE Norfolk - launched its Inspire Focus Project at the Charles Burrell Centre in Thetford.
The project will help provide practical advice for writing CVs, applying for jobs and apprenticeships and offering help on job applications to young members of the town's large Portuguese society, as well as the wider community.
The project's new office was opened by Portuguese ambassador to the UK Manuel Lobo Antunes, along with the town mayor Terry Jermy - who is also the chairman of the Charles Burrell Centre.
The ambassador had earlier visited Thetford Academy, where he attended a question and answer session with more than 130 Portuguese students.
You may also want to watch:
At the opening of the new project, the ambassador said: 'I am very encouraged with the objectives of this centre to help young people fulfil their ambitions.
'I am hopeful that all the young people with the help of this centre and the community can find the way of life which pleases you the most.'
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 6 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
SIMPLE is run by husband and wife Jo and Carla Barretto,who live in Thetford. They have both been involved in community and youth work and approached the Charles Burell Centre to rent a room to house their project.
Mrs Barretto said: 'This project started with an idea in the community and it is very simple, we are here for young people who are confused about their options after school.
'We want to help them with their voyage and shorten the time between where they want to go and getting there.'
The centre is already home to a number of Portuguese businesses and Mr Jermy said the project is a 'great asset' to have.
He said: 'It is very important as there is a big Portuguese community in Thetford and we want to make sure there is advice and support for them.
'It is a really great asset to the Charles Burrell Centre.'
For more information contact Carla Bareto on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07984953557.
Do you have a story? Email email@example.com