Popular West Lynn ferry service up for sale
- Credit: Ian Burt
It's a popular service that saves commuters and visitors to King's Lynn a huge amount of travelling time, and there's already been a lot of interest from businesses in taking on the well-used West Lynn ferry service.
Operating under the name, SN Kingston Marine Services, each day it takes around 250 passengers the short distance across the river Great Ouse between West Lynn and Ferry Lane, Lynn, averaging about 60 trips a day, six days a week.
More than one million passengers have taken the ferry since it was taken over by Steve and Gail Kingston 16 years ago.
The couple have now put the business on the market for an undisclosed amount, through Geoffrey Collings and Co estate agent in Lynn, and partner Jeff Hazel said: 'There's already been a fair bit of interest, as it's a one-off.'
The couple have three boats they use to carry out the service in all weathers and tides.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Kingston said: 'Steve will be 65 this year, and we want to spend more time with the family. We are looking to run a small boatyard in Lowestoft.
'The ferry service is not just a job, it's a lifestyle. You have to work with the weather, tides and the shape of the river.
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 3 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 4 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 5 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 8 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
- 9 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 10 'Untouchable': People tell how Norwich killer left them in fear of their safety
'We have some customers who have been with us 16 years, and are very loyal. When we took it on, we charged 50p for single or return trips, and it's now £1.70 return and £1.10 single.'
The service will continue to run as normal until new owners are found.
Are you selling up after many years running a business? Email firstname.lastname@example.org