Popular pub's plans in focus
The fate of a well-known pub's controversial expansion plans will be decided tomorrow.Proposals for the Crown Hotel, Wells, include converting an outbuilding to two one-bedroom units, building five one-bedroom units within the walled garden, and replacing the orangery with a larger triangular-shaped one that could include seating.
The fate of a well-known pub's controversial expansion plans will be decided tomorrow.
Proposals for the Crown Hotel, Wells, include converting an outbuilding to two one-bedroom units, building five one-bedroom units within the walled garden, and replacing the orangery with a larger triangular-shaped one that could include seating.
But some residents of the Buttlands area have objected to the proposals, claiming there is not enough parking, the buildings would be too high and obstruct views and light, and families' standard of living will be threatened. So far, there have been 24 letters of objection.
The town council supports the plan, which is likely to boost the economy, but has expressed fears over not enough parking being provided.
Since then, owner Chris Coubrough has amended the plan, which now shows seven parking spaces at the rear of the main hotel building, with a revised bin-storage area and removal of balconies and windows to two of the one-bedroom units.
Tomorrow, North Norfolk District Council's development control committee will meet to decide the application, which is recommended for approval.
- 1 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 2 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 5 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 6 'We will all miss him': Poignant tributes paid to 'brilliant' solicitor
- 7 £1,000 reward offered to anyone who can help bring home missing dog
- 8 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 Arrive by boat at new Norfolk wedding venue
Also on the agenda will be an application for a garage and part of Holly House, the Buttlands, to be demolished and replaced with a two- storey extension and two attached dwellings. The owner has also applied to build a two-storey building on land next to Holly House.