Popular Eye Show will not take place this year
A popular north Suffolk show, which attracts 20,000 visitors each year, will not be taking place over the August bank holiday weekend because of the effects of the economic downturn and a busy schedule of summer events.
For over a century, the Eye Show has enthralled crowds at Goodrich Park in Palgrave, but this year the organisers have decided not to stage the event and are planning to make changes to the programme to make the spectacle more attractive to the public.
However, show director Tim Seeley insisted the show's future was safe and that the extravaganza would return with a new format in 2013.
He said the organisers were also concerned the show would have to compete against other events this summer including the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Olympic Torch relay and the public might not have the appetite for another show.
'We had a fairly big think about the show and decided for a lot of varying reasons to pause for a year. We are hoping to run a show in 2013 but we had a fairly close analysis of the economy and our key visitors are being hit hard by what is going on in the world, as well as our exhibitors.
'We were certainly worried about what impact the economic downturn would have on our visitor numbers,' Mr Seeley said.
The show features rural pastimes, motoring thrills, aerial displays and unusual animal competitions as well as a Princes of Wales Royal Regiment freefall team.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?