Poll: Should pupils be given the day off school to attend the Royal Norfolk Show?
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2012
Norfolk pupils will no longer be given a day off school to attend the Royal Norfolk Show.
The county council decided to scrap the Thursday holiday from 2015-2016 after schools said it was also leading to parents keeping children out of the classroom the following day.
A Norfolk County Council spokesman said: 'Headteachers have told us that having a pupil holiday on the Thursday of the Royal Norfolk Show has had a negative impact on attendance the following day. Clearly we want Norfolk's children to attend school regularly, as attendance and attainment are so closely linked - we have therefore reviewed the arrangements for 2015.
'In addition, we have been told by both the former and current organisers of the show that fewer children have actually attended the event since the school holiday arrangements began in 2012. The show committee feels that more children would attend, as part of organised school parties, if schools remained open during the event.
'We always said that the arrangements to have a holiday to coincide with the Norfolk Show were on a trial basis and we consulted with headteachers about proposals to change the arrangements, for schools that wish to follow a countywide calendar.'
You may also want to watch:
The show is the largest annual event in Norfolk, and claims to be the largest two-day agricultural show in the country, with more than 650 stalls.
This year it will be held on June 25-26.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 6 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 7 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 8 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 9 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 10 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
What do you think? Vote in our poll, comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org