Police stop searching for murder victim Sylvia Stuart a year after she went missing from Weybread
- Credit: Archant
Police have stopped searching for the body of a murdered woman who went missing a year ago.
The body of Sylvia Stuart's husband Peter was found in a stream close to their home in Weybread, Suffolk, on June 3 2016, but her remains have never been found.
Ali Qazimaj was found guilty of killing the couple in March.
Suffolk Police have now said they are no longer searching for Mrs Stuart, 69, but will follow up on any leads which might assist in locating her.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Guy, senior investigating officer, said: 'Despite a huge number of officers from three counties completing hundreds of hours of searches Sylvia remains missing. Searches were conducted around the Stuarts' home address, the entire route between Weybread and Tilbury and the home and workplace of Ali Qazimaj.
You may also want to watch:
'Although our active searching has stopped, as I said after the conviction of Qazimaj I have promised the family that I will continue to follow up any information that assists in locating Sylvia and this remains the case. I would also ask anyone who may have information to call us.'
The Rev Susan Ann Loxton, vicar at St Andrew Church in Weybread, said the family of Mrs Stuart are in her prayers.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 7 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
She said: 'My heart just goes out to the family because without the body you can't move on or it must be very difficult to move on.
'It's bad enough to lose someone but to not find out what's happened must be so much worse. The family will be in my prayers this weekend. I will be praying for the family.'
Qazimaj, 43, formerly of Tilbury, Essex, was convicted at Ipswich Crown Court, and jailed for a minimum of 35 years. He claimed during his trial he was actually called Vital Dapi.
Mr and Mrs Stuart were last seen alive at a farm shop in Pulham Market, Norfolk, on May 29 last year.
They were reported missing on 3 June 2016, the same day that 75-year-old Mr Stuart's body was found.
Qazimaj told his trial that he was 44-year-old Dapi, and he had never been to the UK until he was arrested in Luxembourg in July and extradited here.