This little piggy went home - police rescue escaped piglet found on busy road
- Credit: Norfolk Constabulary
An escaped piglet was returned to its owner by police after it was found hoofing down a busy road.
Breckland Police demonstrated they have a duty of care to protect the public as well creatures great and small after they rescued a newborn piglet on Saturday night on the A1066 near Shadwell.
Police were called at around 5pm yesterday by a member of the public who had seen a very tiny piglet running loose on A1066 not far from Ixworth roundabout.
When police arrived they recognised the piglet as being newborn and needed to be with its mother. They brought a cat carrier from the station to transport it safely and made enquiries at Snarehill Farm near Thetford, where it was returned at 5.50pm.
PC Shelly and Thetford beat manager PC Whatmore posted pictures of the adorable runaway on Twitter before returning it to its owner, although PC Shelly looked to be struggling to contain the excitable piglet writhing in his hands.
A police spokesman said: 'The piglet, less than a day old, was found wandering on A1066 near Shadwell.
'PC Shelly and beat manager PC Whatmore rounded it up and returned it to the farmer safe and well.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 7 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 10 Plan to charge for seafront floral tributes is agreed
'One of our nicer, heartwarming jobs. We all like a happy ending but I have to admit PC Whatmore seemed more at ease with the piglet than PC Shelly!'