Police record more than 350 possible sightings of suspected kidnappers from RAF Marham incident
- Credit: Archant
There have been more than 350 reported sightings of the suspects from an attempted abduction at RAF Marham, the lead investigator has said.
Speaking on Radio Norfolk this morning, Detective Superintendent Paul Durham insisted the investigation into the incident on July 20 has not stalled, and police were still hunting the culprits.
Det Supt Durham said: 'It's an old-fashioned detectives' investigation in the sense that it's going to be finger-tip, painstaking work.
'It's going to take several months to get through all the CCTV footage. It's not stalling, it's going to take some time.'
The men, described as being 'Middle Eastern' in appearance, attempted to kidnap a serviceman in his late 20s at knifepoint in the Squares Hill area of Marham while he was out jogging between 2.55pm and 3.26pm that day.
Police have not ruled out terrorism as a motive and said the men involved could have been acting as part of a larger team.
You may also want to watch:
But Det Supt Durham: 'We are no clearer at the moment into establishing what the motivation is.'
He said police had more than 50 hours of CCTV footage which were being sifted through frame-by-frame,
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 9 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 10 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
He said there had been a good response to e-fit images of two suspects released last month, and they had received more than 500 calls including more than 350 reports of sightings from across the country.
He said: 'We will follow up every single one of those but not all 350 are going to be our suspects.'
Det Supt Durham said they were also still searching for the suspects' vehicle - a dark-coloured Ford Galaxy people carrier.
He said: 'The car hasn't been found, but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been abandoned.
'We've got such a wide are from where this vehicles could have gone, from the Squires Hill area at Marham, so were really no clearer on that either.'
Witnesses are urged to call the police's dedicated hotlines on 0800 056 0154 or 0207 158 0011 with any information. Reports can also be made to 101.