Police question 14-year-old boy over bomb threat at Hewett Academy and Sir Isaac Newton Sixth Form

Sir Isaac Newton Sixth Form, Bethel Street Norwich. Students were sent home after a bomb hoax. Photo

Sir Isaac Newton Sixth Form, Bethel Street Norwich. Students were sent home after a bomb hoax. Photo : Steve Adams - Credit: Steve Adams

Police have questioned a 14-year-old boy about a bomb threat which saw two Norwich schools evacuated last week.

Officers were called to the Hewett Academy, in Cecil Road, and the Sir Isaac Newton Sixth Form, in Bethel Street, at about 12.15pm on Thursday, following a report of a suspected bomb threat.

The threat was found to be a hoax, but both schools, which are sponsored by the Inspiration Trust, remained closed for the rest of the day, before re-opening on Friday.

Police said the boy voluntarily attended Wymondham Police Investigation Centre on Saturday, November 28, where he was questioned by officers.

He was subsequently released on bail pending further enquiries.

In a statement, the Inspiration Trust said it was continuing to work closely with Norfolk Police, and said the incident 'caused wholly unnecessary disruption and upset to our pupils, parents, and staff'.

It added: 'We would like to thank the police, parents, and the staff at City College Norwich for their fantastic support in dealing with the incident. We are also proud of how our students and staff reacted with dignity and calm in such unusual circumstances.

'Our focus now is on supporting our school communities, and continuing to ensure that young people in Norwich get the best education possible.'

•Get news alerts from the EDP to your mobile from on Whatsapp. Find out how here.