Police name the two people who died in Bawsey Pits tragedy
- Credit: IAN BURT
Police have named the two people who died in the double drowning tragedy at Bawsey Pits.
Ryan Pettengell, 41, of Railway Road, King's Lynn died after he got in trouble in the water in the larger lake at the site. His body was recovered at around 7.30pm on the evening of the rescue operation.
Umar Balogun, 16, from the Waltham Forest area of London, died in the smaller lake. His body was recovered around two hours later. He had been living in Ely at the time of the accident.
Their disappearances sparked a major search and rescue operation, with police, fire and the Norfolk Lowland Search and Rescue teams deploying significant resources to try and locate them.
A police spokesman said inquests into both deaths would be opened by the coroner in due course and that enquiries to establish the circumstances surrounding the events will continue.
You may also want to watch:
The enquiries will involve the police, Health and Safety Executive and West Norfolk Borough Council.
- 1 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 2 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 3 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 4 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 5 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 6 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 7 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 8 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast