Police name McDonald's assault victim
Police have named the man beaten to death in front of his pregnant girlfriend in a Norwich fast-food restaurant as 21-year-old Richard Moore. The identification of Mr Moore, of Magdalen Close, Norwich, came as detectives charged a father and son with manslaughter.
Police have named the man beaten to death in front of his pregnant girlfriend in a Norwich fast-food restaurant as 21-year-old Richard Moore.
The identification of Mr Moore, of Magdalen Close, Norwich, came as detectives charged a father and son with manslaughter.
Gerard Stonehouse, 48, and Jonathan Stonehouse, 18, both of Woodcock Road, Norwich, will appear before magistrates on Saturday.
The incident happened in McDonald's in Hay Hill at about 4pm on Wednesday after what has been described as a “trivial” argument. Three teenage members of staff managed to apprehend one man and another was arrested later that night.
Mr Moore, who was unemployed, was rushed to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital but, despite the efforts of medics, died from head injuries on Thursday evening.
His family were too shocked and distressed to comment, saying only that they wished to spend the weekend coming to terms with the news.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 4 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 5 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 6 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 7 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 8 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 9 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
Floral tributes had been laid outside McDonald's at the spot where he was attacked. One read: “Richard, our thoughts are with you. Rest in peace, mate.”
Workers at the restaurant have been offered counselling. A McDonald's spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with the family at this very sad time.
“Our staff reacted very quickly. All staff will be offered counselling and they can return to work when they are ready and have whatever time off work they need to sort themselves out and that will vary from person to person.
“It's much too early to say whether there will be any kind of tribute, but of course any such decision will be with the family.”
Forensic tests and other evidence gathering has been carried out at the restaurant. Police spokeswoman Kristina Fox said officers had already spoken to a number of witnesses.
But she added: “A police investigation is ongoing and officers are still keen to speak to anyone who was inside McDonald's at the time of the assault.”
Contact Norwich CID on 0845 4564567.
t An inquest into Mr Moore's death was opened and adjourned on Friday to a date to be fixed.