Police examine coach after boy, 9, falls from a moving coach onto A47, Tilney All Saints

Police at the scene. Picture: Matthew Usher.

Police at the scene. Picture: Matthew Usher. - Credit: Matthew Usher

Officers are continuing with their investigations after a young boy fell onto the busy A47 after coming home from a rugby tournament on Sunday afternoon (April 13).

The nine-year-old boy, who has been named locally as Sebastian Goold, remains in a critical condition at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.

The incident happened shortly before 3.45pm when the youngster fell out of a door towards the back of the coach, on which 30 other passengers – including 20 children – were travelling.

After emergency crews arrived at the scene, he was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital with head and leg injuries where his condition has been described as critical. No-one else was injured.

The boy's father was travelling on the 71-seater double decker coach while his mother was travelling in a car as part of the convoy.

You may also want to watch:

The parents are being supported by specially trained officers.

Inspector Chris Brooks said: 'There is a very difficult time for the family. We've already interviewed some of the passengers on board as well as drivers who were in the area at the time of the incident.

Most Read

'As a result of initial enquiries we know just prior to the incident that people were queuing for the toilet. Somehow, the door has opened and the boy has fallen from the moving coach.

'The coach was recovered yesterday and is being kept in a secure compound. The vehicle will be examined by police and VOSA investigators and this is the focus of our enquiry st this stage.

'We will also be speaking to other people who were on board at the time of the incident and it would be inappropriate to speculate on possible causes at this stage.'

The coach carrying youngsters from the under-9's Stamford Rugby Club in Lincolnshire from the Kingswood rugby tournament in Holt, North Norfolk, back home to Stamford when the incident happened.

The coach involved is owned by coach company Hamiltons, which is based in Kettering, Northamptonshire.

A spokesman for Hamiltons said: 'Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and we are giving the relevant authorities our full co-operation.'

Ross Thain, chairman of the Minis at Stamford Rugby Club arranged a replacement bus to pick up the remaining passengers.

He met them at the club when they arrived back.

He said: 'The children were tired and wanted to get home.'

Mr Thain spoke of his shock: 'We are aware of a very serious incident to one of our under-9's and we know he is in hospital.

'Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.'

Club president Steve Fowkes said: 'This is obviously a difficult time for everyone concerned, however I will just reiterate mine and the club's support for Seb, family, team mates & friends.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus