Police confirm woman died in Fens crash, with two people critically injured
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed that it was a woman who died in a collision between a car an a van on a Fen road.
Emergency services were called to Black Drove in Murrow, near Wisbech, at about 7.10am today (Thursday, November 9) with reports of a collision involving a Vauxhall Astra and a Ford Transit van.
The driver of the Astra, a woman in her 20s, died at the scene.
Two passengers in the vehicle, a man and a woman, were taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge and remain in a critical but stable condition.
The driver of the van, a man, suffered minor injuries.
Community leaders have paid their condolences after the crash and pledged to make any road safety improvements necessary - but say they will await a police report into what happened before making any judgements.
Simon King – county councillor for the Roman Bank and Peckover division, which includes Murrow – said: 'I don't know the details of the incident but it is a very tragic incident.
'My deepest sympathies go to the families of those involved.
'I think we just need to wait for the police investigation. If there's anything that comes out of that which relates to road safety, then we have to look at making any possible improvements.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 3 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 4 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 5 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 6 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 7 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 8 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 9 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 10 Should it stay or should it go? Concerns for fate of town's hare sculpture
'One of our primary goals as a county council is to reduce traffic accidents. If there's something that can be done to prevent further accidents, we will do everything we can to do that.'
Black Drove was reopened at about 2.30pm.
Anyone with information about the collision is asked to call the Road Policing Unit on 101 quoting incident 73 of 9 November, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.