Police complaints watchdog launches probe after teenager dies in crash near North Walsham

The road leading into Westwick between North Walsham and Coltishall where a serious collision occurr

The road leading into Westwick between North Walsham and Coltishall where a serious collision occurred at 3am on Sunday morning. Picture: MARK BULLIMORE

An investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is today underway after a teenager died following a crash near North Walsham.

The 19-year-old sustained life threatening injuries following a crash at Captain's Pond, Norwich Road, Westwick, near North Walsham and was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, where he later died.

The incident has prompted an investigation by the police complaints watchdog which is examining the circumstances of the crash, including the police actions before it.

An IPCC spokesman said: 'The IPCC has begun an independent investigation into Norfolk police actions following a fatal road traffic incident in the early hours of yesterday morning.

'Initial indications are that officers in a marked police vehicle saw a Peugeot driving in the opposite direction without lights at around 2.50am. Police followed the Peugeot, which subsequently collided with a tree. A 19 year old man was taken to hospital with serious injuries, but sadly died.'

Norfolk's police and crime commissioner Lorne Green said: 'There's sorrow that we learn of the death of someone on the road. It's tragic. Our sympathies go out to his family. Unfortunately we are not in a position to say anything about the circumstances.'

Norman Lamb, North Norfolk MP, said 'regardless of the circumstances' it was a tragedy 'that a lad has lost his life'.

Most Read

He said the incident was 'obviously a matter of public concern' and was something he would take up with the police himself but insisted the 'most important thing at the moment' was to offer condolences to the in recognition of what they must be going through.

Mr Lamb said he has himself had a crash on that very same stretch of road when a third party collided with him and drove off, so he knew the dangers.

People living in the area were sad there had been a death on the road, saying that improvement should be made to prevent further tragedies.

One man, who did not want to be named, said: 'It's just really sad. On this road we have accidents all the time.'

The road was closed for hours and diversions put in place following the crash. It finally reopened at about 5pm yesterday.

Any witnesses should contact Norfolk Roads Policing on 101.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter