Police called in over Norwich Travellers’ encampment
Police and Travellers were involved in a stand-off over an unauthorised encampment on the outskirts of Norwich.
Travellers on the unauthorised encampment, on a field behind Tesco at Harford Bridge, had been served a notice to leave by 3pm today (Friday).
However, the large group of Travellers say when they attempted to return to their caravans after the deadline, police had already moved in and blocked their way on to the site.
One of the Travellers, Sally Lewis, told the Evening News on Friday night that they were not being allowed to return to their homes and belongings.
She said: 'I have my children in there and I can't get to my home.
You may also want to watch:
'I have petrol that we need to start the generator so they can put on the lights and they won't let anyone through.
'There are people with ill health here - someone with coronary heart disease and bad lungs, and an eight-and-a-half month pregnant woman.'
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
A spokeswoman for Norfolk Constabulary said officers have been working in partnership with a number of agencies.
She added: 'Travellers on the unauthorised encampment, on a field behind Tesco, had been served a notice to leave by 3pm on behalf of the land owners and officers have visited the site offering advice and assistance.
'Unfortunately individuals have not abided by the notice and remain on the site. Officers are currently working with the Travellers to resolve the situation which will include removal from the site.'
Shortly before 10pm on Friday, the Travellers said they had been given access to their caravans.
See www,eveningnews24.co.uk for updates.