Police called in over Norwich Travellers’ encampment

Police and Travellers were involved in a stand-off over an unauthorised encampment on the outskirts of Norwich.

Travellers on the unauthorised encampment, on a field behind Tesco at Harford Bridge, had been served a notice to leave by 3pm today (Friday).

However, the large group of Travellers say when they attempted to return to their caravans after the deadline, police had already moved in and blocked their way on to the site.

One of the Travellers, Sally Lewis, told the Evening News on Friday night that they were not being allowed to return to their homes and belongings.

She said: 'I have my children in there and I can't get to my home.


You may also want to watch:


'I have petrol that we need to start the generator so they can put on the lights and they won't let anyone through.

'There are people with ill health here - someone with coronary heart disease and bad lungs, and an eight-and-a-half month pregnant woman.'

Most Read

A spokeswoman for Norfolk Constabulary said officers have been working in partnership with a number of agencies.

She added: 'Travellers on the unauthorised encampment, on a field behind Tesco, had been served a notice to leave by 3pm on behalf of the land owners and officers have visited the site offering advice and assistance.

'Unfortunately individuals have not abided by the notice and remain on the site. Officers are currently working with the Travellers to resolve the situation which will include removal from the site.'

Shortly before 10pm on Friday, the Travellers said they had been given access to their caravans.

See www,eveningnews24.co.uk for updates.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter