Police block roads and arrest six people during overnight incident in West Caister
A GROUP of people were arrested after police dealt with a long running overnight incident in West Caister, which ended at 3.30am this morning.
Officers were first alerted to the scene at around 8.15pm yesterday (Monday) after a 4x4 parked in Castle Lane was set alight. This followed damage to two other vehicles on Sunday.
More officers were drafted in while they investigated this criminal damage and resulted in increased police activity in the King's Road and Marine Parade area of Great Yarmouth, and road blocks being set up on the A149 and A47 near the Vauxhall Holiday Camp.
Following 'extensive police enquiries' five people were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. They were all from the Great Yarmouth area, three aged in their 20s and two in their 40s.
A sixth person, aged in their early 30s and also from the Great Yarmouth area, was arrested on suspicion of assault.
Police said this afternoon that all six were at Great Yarmouth Police investigation centre awaiting questioning.
Firefighters also had a busy evening.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 4 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 6 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 7 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 8 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 9 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 10 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
At 8pm they were called to a car fire on the Yarmouth bound carriageway of the A12 at Hopton, near the holiday village roundabout. Two engines from Great Yarmouth attended and used breathing apparatus to deal with the fire.
Just 15 minutes later an engine from Yarmouth was called to the vehicle fire in West Caister.
They then attended a third car fire in Blackwall Reach, Gorleston - believed to have been an arson attack - at around 4.10am this morning. Crews from Great Yarmouth used hose reels to extinguish the flames.
None of the car fires are being linked.