Police appeal after van crashes on A47 near Swaffham
Police are appealing for witnesses after van crashed on an A47 roundabout near Swaffham causing several hours of delays for motorists.
The accident happened at around 8.20am yesterday and involved a white Ford Transit which was travelling on the westbound carriageway.
It was driven across the centre of the roundabout which joins the A1122 to Downham Market and hit a bollard.
The van stopped at the beginning of the A1122 and the driver, a white man, fled the scene on foot towards Swaffham and is still being sought by police.
The westbound lane of the A47 was blocked until 3pm and firefighters were called to deal with a leak, which ended up being 99pc water.
You may also want to watch:
A specialist chemical hazard team was also summoned from Essex and the van was carrying large plastic containers of the liquid, which ended up on the road.
An ambulance was called, but left when it became apparent there were no casualties at the scene.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 4 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 5 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 6 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 7 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 8 May 17 easing: What UEA virus expert will and won't be doing
- 9 Couple launch new park café after market success
- 10 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
Any witnesses should contact PC Andrew Nattrass at Swaffham Roads Policing on 101.