‘Poet in a Pub’ is set to entertain the regulars
- Credit: Archant
Yorkshire poet Henry Raby will take up a stool and become the resident 'Poet in a Pub' at several Norfolk pubs later this month and in December.
During the day he will approach regulars at the pubs, who will already have been informed of his visit, and offer to write poetry for anyone interested.
People can ask for poems about specific topics, ideas, people, places or memories which will require chatting to him and sharing a story.
He will then visit the pubs again one week later when he will be asking for ideas and stories to create fresh poems and building on new connections and friendships made.
In the evening, he will perform an extended version of his performance poetry show 'Letter To The Man (from the boy)', in which he delivers pieces about growing up, from the perspectives of young children, teenagers and young adults. During the show he will incorporate stories and poems he has heard and created during his visits to the pubs.
You may also want to watch:
The free show also invites audiences to write a letter to themselves in the future, a time capsule of memories.
The pubs he will visit are The Cellar House in Norwich, The Peddars Inn in Sporle, The King's Head in North Lopham and The Lord Nelson in Bradenham.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
The pub tours are part of Creative Arts East's Arts Council England Strategic Touring Fund which brings performance to different venues such as pubs and libraries across Norfolk and Suffolk.
Touring dates: the Cellar House, Eaton: visit Monday, November 18, from 12pm. Letter to the Man (from the boy) on Monday, November 25 at 8pm; The Peddars Inn, Sporle: visit on Friday, November 22, from 12pm. Letter to the Man (from the boy) on Friday, November 29 at 8pm; The King's Head, North Lopham, Diss. Visit on Saturday, November 23, from 12pm. Letter to the Man (from the boy) on Saturday, November 30 at 8pm; The Lord Nelson, Bradenham: visit on Sunday, November 24, from 12pm. Letter to the Man (from the boy) on Sunday, December 1 at 7.30pm. The event is funded by Norfolk County Council, Breckland District Council, Arts Council England and the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.