Pockthorpe resident raises money for Excel Appeal during sponsored slim
- Credit: Archant
The first thing Malcolm Duffey did after his sponsored slim ended was to tuck into a Mars bar. Mr Duffey, of Pockthorpe, deserved his chocolate treat after shedding 17lb to raise funds for Queen Elizabeth Hospital's Excel Appeal.
The appeal, supported by the EDP, aims to raise £50,000 for specialist equipment, such as falls prevention kit, recliner chairs, and dementia software, which will all improve the hospital's care of the elderly.
Since starting his sponsored weight-loss programme in January, Mr Duffey has raised £737 for the appeal.
Mr Duffey, a semi-retired businessman who helped set up Belton Duffey Estate Agents in King's Lynn, said: 'I was hoping to lose two stone.
'The trouble was it was very hard to say no to things offered when you're socialising with people.
You may also want to watch:
'The first three weeks were the hardest.'
He also cut down on carbohydrates but admitted that staying away from chocolate was a struggle.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 3 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 4 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 5 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 6 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 7 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
Despite the difficulties of sometimes refusing food or drink, Mr Duffey still managed to avoid drinking any alcohol throughout the sponsored slim.
He said it was important to him to try and keep eating healthily even though the sponsored slim had ended.
'I did feel like I had more energy as a result of what I was eating,' he added.
To donate to the appeal visit www.justgiving.com/qehkl-excelappeal, or fill in the coupon (right) or pay by cheque: payable to 'Excel Appeal' and send to Laurence Morlaàs, fundraising executive, QEH, Gayton Road, King's Lynn PE30 4ET.
Are you fundraising for the Excel Appeal? Email email@example.com