Please donate your winter fuel payment to Norfolk’s Surviving Winter appeal
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
Norfolk's most senior cleric today appealed for those who do not need their winter fuel payments to donate them to those struggling to heat their homes.
The EDP-backed Surviving Winter Appeal gives grants to help some of the county's most vulnerable households.
Since its launch last month more than £4,000 has been paid out in grants by Age UK Norfolk, which runs the appeal with the Norfolk Community Foundation.
But while increasing numbers are expected to find themselves in fuel poverty, with a cold snap forecast, many more affluent households receive non means-tested winter payments of £100 - £300 from the government, which they do not need.
The Rt Revd Graham James, the Bishop of Norwich, said: 'The winter fuel payments are a lifeline to some older people. Yet some older people realise they do not need such extra help. Their generosity in redirecting their payments so that those in greatest need in Norfolk benefit is a reminder of human kindness.
'We need such reminders when world news is often so gloomy. It is a sign of how we build community spirit in Norfolk. I hope it goes well again this year.'
Almost £30,000 has been raised so far this winter. But applications are expected to soar as temperatures drop.
- 1 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 2 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 7 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 8 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 9 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 10 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
There are a number of ways that you can give:
To make an online donation, click here.
Please complete a Gift Aid form and send with a cheque made payable to Norfolk Community Foundation to: Surviving Winter Appeal, Norfolk Community Foundation, St James Mill, Whitefriars, Norwich, NR3 1TN.
You can also pay by text or BACS transfer – call 01603 623958 for information.
To request help from the appeal, call Age UK Norfolk on 0300 500 1217.