Help bring a smile to the lonely and donate some festive goodies this Christmas
- Credit: JAMES BASS PHOTOGRAPHY
Nearly a million older people will spend Christmas alone this year and so we've teamed up with Age UK to help give those feeling lonely something to look forward to over the festive period.
A collection box has been placed in the reception of the Archant office on Rouen Road in Norwich and we're hoping to collect enough goodies to make presents for 50 elderly or isolated people across Norfolk, who have no one to turn to, to open and enjoy on Christmas Day.
Age UK do a fantastic job year after year and this year we want to contribute to their efforts.
The charity spoke to people aged over 65 and found shocking levels of isolation and loss - around 1.2 million people admitted Christmas feels like an ordinary day that just passes them by.
In turn we're asking our readers to donate anything from a jar of jam to a set of winter accessories and are hoping to pass over these generous gifts to the Age UK office in the week beginning December 3.
We are looking for:
•Mince pies (sealed and in date)
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 3 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 4 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 7 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 8 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 9 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
•Small jars of jams and pickles
•Small jars of coffee and tea
•Sweets and chocolates
•Gloves or scarves
•Games or crosswords
•Christmas tree decorations
(Please do not donate anything that contains nuts or is homemade)